Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chicks!

Last Sunday we had 12 beautiful little chicks hatch. Two are Barred Rocks, and the rest are either mutts from a friend of ours or lavender split Silkies, who are pretty darn adorable.

The only big downer was that I had three eggs pip and then die. I really put this down to the seller of the Barred Rocks selling me the ugliest, dirtiest eggs I have ever seen. The chicks that died after pipping were all from that seller.

But, the chicks that survived are doing great. Mutt chicks are fun, because you never know what to expect. For example-- my beautiful little Easter Egger chick that hatched from an egg that looks like it was from a Buff Orpington! I know my friends have the most gorgeous Ameracauna rooster (Birchen and white... so pretty!) so he is the daddy for at least three of my chicks. I am thrilled for that, and they are exceptionally beautiful.

I will get pictures up. I just am having some of the eternal issues with my camera.

We have more eggs due the 18th, all Easter Eggers out of a Lavender Ameracauna rooster. These eggs are really beautiful and, when I candled last night, every single one is developing! This has to be my favorite seller of all time too (look up 'bargain' on BackyardChickens.com).

I put an ad up for the Lavender silkies and the response has been huge. I only have four or five, but I easily could have sold 50! If I was allowed to have a rooster I would so be breeding Lavender Silkies as a cash crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment