Thursday, May 10, 2012

Knit Knacks: The Keith Scarf


Here's my sweetheart looking ultra self-conscious. I put the poor guy on the spot with this one.

It's fair.


Because, right after I finished his blanket (the insane one, remember that one? Perhaps this will refresh the memory) he told me what he really wanted now was a scarf with checkerboard blocks on it.

I had little time, but it was done for his birthday.

After the blanket, this was actually a pretty easy project. Using the double knitting method, it requires two balls of  contrasting yarn. I cast on about 30 stitches (both colors) and then knit five of each color, alternating yarns after every five stitches. In the double knitting stitch, this meant I was simply switching the yarns in my hand, so fairly quick and easy. 
Each block was 5 X 5, so I would stitch five stitches, switch colors, and repeat to the end of the row, for five rows, and then switch to the next color. It's fairly simple.
For the fringe, I put three strands of yarn per stitch. To get even length I wrapped the yarn from my hand around my elbow in a loop many times and then cut the strands in half, all together. 

My family liked it so much that all of the children requested scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment