Thursday, April 21, 2011

The thing about chickens, is that everything sees them as an easy meal. predators are a given, it's just a matter of what and when, even when you live in the city like I do. In one morning I lost 14 chickens, four ducks, and a goose to one coyote who cleared our chain link fence.



But it's a whole other thing when it's your own dogs killing them. It's not OK.

I have tried every method. I have gone down to a puppy to train her up.

And yesterday, our puppy got upset about being left home alone, went through a fence, and killed Starlight, a beautiful pullet, and injured three of our five turkeys.

So she has to go, and we will not be doing dogs.

We have lost, to our dogs:

1 turkey dead, three injured
1 mid-age silkie, blue
1 baby silkie
11 mid-age chicks
Two adult laying hens

All in all, we're looking at over $150 they've cost me, not even looking at the fact that I hatched most of these (not the turkeys) and the emotional toll of waking up each morning, wondering who will be dead this time.

Farewell to dogs. No more.

Good Bye to my beautiful Starlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment