Sunday, January 2, 2011

Update: ALVIN!

Alvin in the brooder gets knocked down and shivers.
We have a third chick today. It was a tricky situation, as the humidity in the incubator has always been an issue and it was much worse (apparently) this morning. I found a chick pipped, zipped, and stuck in the egg. With a warm and wet paper towel I was able to assist the chick in surviving. I hate doing that, but I couldn't stand back and let it die.

The boys have named him/her Alvin (we now have Alvin, Simon, and Theodore). I honestly don't know if it's going to make it. Right now I have had to put it back in the incubator because the older and stronger chicks won't let it near enough to the lamp to stay warm.

Other than the problems it had because of the incubator, it is a beautiful little chick. I really hope it makes it.

Alvin is from egg 11 from my first seller-- which, I think, is why it is such a pretty chick. It's a fighter, for sure, or it would never have made it this long.
Alvin doesn't open its eyes.

I do have one other pip in the incubator thus far, but it hasn't made any progress in about five hours, so I am very doubtful that it will go anywhere.

I keep hoping that we will end up with a few more chicks. Three out of the sixteen eggs that went into lock down are not enough!
Cheeks being an egg. Just added this because he's so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment