Monday, December 13, 2010

Day Two

The incubator temperature is finally exactly where I want it. There has been some fluctuation, but not enough to worry me as it has always been between 99.2 and 100.1. Fluctuation isn't great, but as the higher temperature was for only a short time, I have hopes that it won't be a problem.
My incubator: all wrapped up! 


There is definitely an issue with an incubator that has no insulation. I have to keep the incubator wrapped in a blanket at all times, though I leave the air intakes completely open and unblocked, it wouldn't do to suffocate the little chicks. I've considered knitting a cozy for it, but I don't have the time right now to do it.

I am still tilting the incubator back and forth at least three times during the day. I make sure that I'm gentle and that the angle does affect all of the eggs. I don't see why this shouldn't work. It's not THAT different from what a turner would do.

I'm afraid there will not be many interesting pictures for a little while, as I do not intend to crack into the incubator to handle the eggs or candle them (look through them with a light to see how they are developing) until this weekend. I will try to get pictures then.

Here's a neat fact: at about 42 hours incubation the chicks' hearts start beating. Isn't that amazing?

2 comments:

  1. That IS amazing! What is the temp range supposed to be? I'm sure hens have it just right, but don't they leave the nest for a bit from time to time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideal is RIGHT at 99.5 perfectly for the whole time. In my limited experience, broodies rarely leave their eggs at all, and this is why. As the chicks become larger in the eggs they will hold temperature better (keep their own warmth to a degree) and then, maybe, she'd be able to leave or move around, but any fluctuation is really not that good for the developing embryos.

    ReplyDelete