Sunday, December 26, 2010

Week Two!

I'm a day late on this update. Merry Christmas everyone!

I candled the eggs today-- all of them, and threw out nine of them. Two were clear (infertile), one of the small white ones from the second seller, and the other, unfortunately, an infertile Marans egg. I also tossed some partially developed ones that quit on me.

Say Goodbye to My Little Friends-- 7 of today's discards


I have left:
11 Marans eggs (three iffy and getting the benefit of the doubt)
9 Americaunas from my first seller.
5 random eggs from the second seller (three of which are iffy, but are getting another chance)

The eggs from the first two sellers are both due the 1st at about 6 am. I have been having temperature issues, so they may be a little late or early. I will be 'locking down' (not moving the eggs or opening the incubator' on Wednesday, which is good timing, as my nephew is getting married that day and I won't be home to move them anyway!

Tuesday night I will be removing the eggs that should be hatching from their egg cartons and let them prepare for hatching. I have hatched in the egg cartons before and have lost a few chicks from them hatching upside down. I have kept them in the cartons thus far just to improve the ease of rotating the eggs.

This is the point at which I start getting really nervous about having any of the chicks hatch at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment