Saturday, December 18, 2010

Week One!

A week ago today I set the first eggs.

I set some Marans eggs today-- twelve of them. They are a glorious color and I really hope we get some beautiful chicks out of that bunch, though most are promised to my mom.

I also candled the eggs today and I had to throw away six eggs that were all definite infertile eggs. When I candled them they were completely clear. They were all from the second seller. Shocking, right? I'm not surprised. Another reason I will not be using that seller again.

The good news is that I had some obvious development and even got to see one embryo jump in response (I guess) to the light. It was about the size of the tip of my pinky.

My camera is on the fritz, so I will have to post candling pictures at a later date.

I have 32 eggs total in the incubator now. I have thrown out a total of 9 eggs due to mailing breakage and infertility.

No comments:

Post a Comment