Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Window-shopping Wednesday

Part of the fun of beginning the homestead project is that I get to pretend like I can invest in all my favorite heritage livestock and crops. Every Wednesday I allow myself a little time to window-shop and pretend like I can actually get the things I want! The best part is that, in window-shopping, money is really no object!



 This is Celestial Jata from CelestialFarms.net. Isn't she gorgeous? She's a Dexter cow, which means she is a great dual-purpose cow who is perfect for a small homestead. Celestial Farms has some gorgeous cattle for sale on their webpage, but this one really jumped out at me. Maybe it's that beautiful face of hers? Celestial Jata is offered for sale right now.

Dexters are a rare, but recovering breed of cattle. They are basically half-size cows and some of them carry the C2 gene, which means that people like me can drink their milk! (It affects the casein, which is protein in milk people are allergic to.)




Some would say it is redundant to have a cow AND goats. Probably. BUT, drakefamilyfarms.com has some beautiful little goats.

These two little girls are 2010 Nubians. I like nubians quite a lot, they are beautiful, have amazing personalities, and they have really great butter-fat content in their milk, which makes it delicious.

Out of all the kids on the Drake Family Farms page I picked out these two doelings (though, this being a year later they are probably first fresheners having their own kids this year.

Goats can be trouble, they are smart and curious and get into mischief in ways we can't even imagine. They also have the unique quality of being able to be a friend. I've loved every goat I've owned and would do it again in a heartbeat.

These doelings were marked as currently for sale.




Ah, my favorite piggies are available! New litters are arriving at homegrownacres.com. I need one, or two, maybe three. Three for sure-- two to eat and a gilt to keep and breed.... sigh.

I wonder if Santa ever delivers pigs?

There are all sorts of beautiful heritage pigs available at Home Grown Acres. They are taking reservations for piglets right now and have beautiful photos of their new piglets on their facebook page.



Well, there's the end to this week's window shopping. I'm already looking forward to next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment