Monday, December 6, 2010

Incubator: Anticipation

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my incubator. Of course, if I end up with not eggs to put in it, I'll have to wait even longer. I may even have to beg some off of my young friend who raises chickens and generously offered to give us two of his-- which, of course, we couldn't take advantage of! Too sweet, really.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I decided I want to share a idiot proof incubating site that already has all the how-tos, so I didn't have to make it myself:
http://www.howtoincubate.com/

There's another one that I knew of a few years ago, I'll post it when I find it again. It was pretty neat, with lots of candling pictures.

(Candling is when you shine a light through an egg to see the shadow of the embryo through the shell... pretty tough in darker eggs, as you can imagine! It's a blast to do with the kids, because they just giggle like crazy to see the chicks move around and chick and jump. I've had a fun time telling my boys about when I had them in my tummy and they would do the same things. It would be so cool if we could just shine a light through to see the baby move in people, wouldn't it?)

I'm trying to decide where I want to put the incubator. It's tough, because, with the three boys, we get a lot of traffic. The laundry room seems like a good place for it, but it doesn't hold a steady temperature overnight, and that's no good. There's the kitchen, but, well.... chickens smell. I have a sensitive nose, too. Blech! There's the boy's playroom, which may be the best bet as long as I can put it someplace out of casual reach... AND where the cats won't be overly curious. I have this horrible vision in my head of a cat sleeping on the nice warm incubator and frying my eggs by lying on the thermostat.

I suppose they could always go in my room. Hmmm. Did I mention that, to me, incubators with eggs SMELL?

I kid you not, I can smell a dirty diaper across the house. I'm crazy that way... well, a lot of ways, but in this way in particular.

I canNOT wait for my incubator to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment